« Home | I've been nibbling on Donald Asher's book, "How to... » | The current copy of SmartMoney has an article titl... » | One of my latest endeavors has been to try and get... » | My description of an ideal community-connected lib... » | I came across Chrystie Hill/Steve Cohen's blog tit... » | I have come to the conclusion that I have no abili... » | Demographics have been the new toy for me. Actuall... » | Being a good organizer is a goal everyone should g... » | So the latest thing to do for me has been to keep ... » | Its finally good to get back to blogging after a h... » 

ReferenceWORK:

05 March 2006 

Alumni associations? As a great resource for scoping out careers? I was a little perplexed at this suggestion in "How to get any job with any major" by Donald Asher. All I remember from the alumni association was that they would ask me to donate money to the university when I could only afford food off the dollar menu! They needed to fire their PR person!

If I was in charge of their PR I would tout the major benefit: Access to tons of people in different states and countries - with whom you already have something in common! Now if you share this information with your patron, advise them to not rush to their alumni association and start begging for jobs. Alumni can be a friendly face in a new city, a future employer or even a mentor. If you are planning a career switch, it might not be a bad idea to hit up the ol' association and talk to someone who is in the field you want to be in. Also, some high schools might have even have their own alumni association.

Now the only thing is coughing up the money for the dues... $40 is feast at your nearest dollar menu!