« Home | I came across Chrystie Hill/Steve Cohen's blog tit... » | I have come to the conclusion that I have no abili... » | Demographics have been the new toy for me. Actuall... » | Being a good organizer is a goal everyone should g... » | So the latest thing to do for me has been to keep ... » | Its finally good to get back to blogging after a h... » | Not too long ago, I had a female patron break down... » | People come up with really creative ways to get th... » | I had the good fortune to attend a presentation by... » | I've heard that an academic library and a public l... » 

ReferenceWORK:

24 February 2006 

My description of an ideal community-connected librarian is one who:
1) Is aware of the different groups that make up the local community (Demographics!!)
2) Constantly develops a referral network (I love my Rolodex)
3) Actively looks to get involved with boards or committee
4) Is not afraid to travel to reach patrons (meet them at churches, synagogues, clubs, schools)
5) Is aware of local issues (The local newspaper and TV news help a lot; serves as an ice breaker too)
6) Listens attentively, empathizes and smiles
7) Is suave like James Bond :)

Now the debate is, would Sean Connery make a better librarian than Pierce Brosnan?