« Home | Being a good organizer is a goal everyone should g... » | So the latest thing to do for me has been to keep ... » | Its finally good to get back to blogging after a h... » | Not too long ago, I had a female patron break down... » | People come up with really creative ways to get th... » | I had the good fortune to attend a presentation by... » | I've heard that an academic library and a public l... » | To everyone that has come to ReferenceWork via Gre... » | At work, we love using the "ReferenceUSA" database... » | ReferenceWork has undergone a facelift and I am ra... » 

ReferenceWORK:

17 October 2005 

Demographics have been the new toy for me. Actually, it is more like a 5000 piece jigsaw puzzle than a toy. Trying to piece together pertinent information from different sources to gain insights is an interesting exercise. While not necessarily a prerequisite skill for an MLS, understanding demographics is of an obvious benefit to a librarian looking to serve community members, who are currently underserved. I have seen some library literature that deals with demographics, but my quest to understand these numbers continues. In the mean time, I found that the Small Business Development Center National Information Clearinghouse (SBDCNET) has a nice collections of resources to get you started. If politicians and marketers reach their "customers", maybe it would not hurt to learn more about it. If you have any suggestions, e-mail me.