« Home | Its finally good to get back to blogging after a h... » | Not too long ago, I had a female patron break down... » | People come up with really creative ways to get th... » | I had the good fortune to attend a presentation by... » | I've heard that an academic library and a public l... » | To everyone that has come to ReferenceWork via Gre... » | At work, we love using the "ReferenceUSA" database... » | ReferenceWork has undergone a facelift and I am ra... » | Outreach is demanding! Especially when your outrea... » | Having graduated from library school not too long ... » 

ReferenceWORK:

08 September 2005 

So the latest thing to do for me has been to keep a list of prospective groups that I would like to work with in the future. In fact, I even started keeping files on prominent individuals in the company. No, I am not a stalker and the information I get is from newspaper clippings, Business Source Premier, a local business journal and Google searches. Test it out for yourself the next time you enter a meeting.

Do a quick Google search on the person you are going to meet. Find out what their title is, if they are on any boards or committees, interviews they may have given and so forth. You may even find out about a person's likes! I found out that a lady I was going to meet was a die-hard Buffy fan. So I went over to the shelves and picked up a "Watcher's guide to Buffy" before the meeting. A few minutes before we started, I presented it to her and asked her what she thought was the best season. Sure, she was surprised and we had a good chat about it before moving into our agendas. Great ice breaker!!


If you can research before going into a job interview, why not do it before meeting someone? Adopt a little aggressive mindset and conduct some research (we are librarians... We love research) You have to connect with people somehow to leave a lasting impression!