« Home | Not too long ago, I had a female patron break down... » | People come up with really creative ways to get th... » | I had the good fortune to attend a presentation by... » | I've heard that an academic library and a public l... » | To everyone that has come to ReferenceWork via Gre... » | At work, we love using the "ReferenceUSA" database... » | ReferenceWork has undergone a facelift and I am ra... » | Outreach is demanding! Especially when your outrea... » | Having graduated from library school not too long ... » | During one-on-one sessions with high school kids, ... » 

ReferenceWORK:

07 September 2005 

Its finally good to get back to blogging after a hectic Labor Day weekend. During the week, I managed to pick up a copy of "The Illiad" by Homer. The very first line grips you:

"Rage - Goddess, sing the rage of Peleus' son Achilles..."

Some of you may still have memories of the summer blockbuster "Troy", where Brad Pitt played the famed warrior. Achilles' obsession for glory is complete; nothing short of excellence. When I was thinking about what to post, I started going back to my own job hunting. I said that I really wanted a job, but I would be lying if I said that I devoted the energy it deserved. Would it not be nice to have the same drive for job hunting that Achilles had for glory?

Remind your unemployed patrons that job hunting is a job in itself. There is no time limit on how long it takes you to get a job. Sometimes, it is a week; other times it is 20 weeks. It is important to treat job searching as a 9 to 5 job. You cannot spend an hour a weekend and expect a flood of jobs. If you are frustrated, change up your tactics - join/create a job seekers group, let family and friends know about your job seeking, etc. BUT, don't do it half-heartedly because you would have no one to blame but yourself.

Remember, it took the Acheans (Greeks) 10 years to conquer Troy!