« Home | People come up with really creative ways to get th... » | I had the good fortune to attend a presentation by... » | I've heard that an academic library and a public l... » | To everyone that has come to ReferenceWork via Gre... » | At work, we love using the "ReferenceUSA" database... » | ReferenceWork has undergone a facelift and I am ra... » | Outreach is demanding! Especially when your outrea... » | Having graduated from library school not too long ... » | During one-on-one sessions with high school kids, ... » | I am not a master networker, but I am well-aware o... » 

ReferenceWORK:

30 August 2005 

Not too long ago, I had a female patron break down into tears while I helped her with her job search. Whilst co-workers insisted on taking the micky out of me, I was unable to console the woman, who complained about how her career was going nowhere.

I am sure we have all been to the depths of "job search despair" at one time or the other. It only makes it worse when you hear or read in the media about "fewer jobs being created this month". It really does not paint a pretty picture at all.

The key with the "fewer jobs created" comment is to realize that it refers to THIS MONTH. As illustrated in "What color is my parachute?", the figure does not include the number of Americans that have switched jobs within the last month. Some have retired, passed away, been promoted, quit, fired and so forth - there is constant movement. One must see through the negative press and, as a workforce librarian, it is important to ensure that patrons know this fact. I guess I learnt my lesson the hard way!